The federal government continues to crackdown on allegations of health care fraud. In recent weeks, five from the New York area have been arrested and charged with health care fraud crimes.
Those charged include:
- Anesthesiologist. The government has accused the physician of taking illegal kickbacks in exchange for ordering diagnostic tests and using certain medical equipment deemed unnecessary. According to the indictment, there were discrepancies between the physician’s billed telemedicine services and the care patients actually received. This allegedly led to over $7 million in fraudulent claims. As a result, she faces criminal charges for conspiracy to commit health care fraud and health care fraud.
- Neurologist. Authorities state a neurologist who owned a medical facility in the Bronx repeatedly filed claims with Medicare for medically unnecessary procedures and home visits. The allegations include over 3,000 in what the government argues are fraudulent claims.
- Pharmacist. The government states the pharmacist filed false claims for payment for prescriptions patients never received.
- Registered nurse. The recent federal probe also resulted in the arrest of an RN charged with stealing medications for his hospital of employment.
- Business owner. The owner of the pharmacy noted above also faces criminal health care fraud charges.
These recent charges provide an example of the variety of professionals that can face allegations of health care fraud. Any individual or business that files claims for payment with Medicare can find themselves the subject of a federal investigation. If this occurs, it is wise to seek legal counsel to protect your interests.