An Austin Firm Dedicated to
Health Care Law

Can I Relocate a Certified Home Health Care Agency From One City to Another?

| Jan 10, 2014 | Home Health Agencies |

Answer: Depends

The issue of a provider moving from one city to another and taking its provider number with them comes up often. According to CMS and the Texas Association for Home Care, you can move a provider number from one city to another as long as you do not cease providing services in the community that the number was originally established. Thus, moving within a Metropolitan Statistical Area is okay. Moving from one county to an adjacent county is also okay. The important thing to remember is that you have to continue to provide services in the original community designated. The farther you move the agency, the more likely it is that the Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services will consider that the agency has ceased providing services to the community and terminate the provider number. As per CMS Code 42 CFR 489.52(b)(3), “a cessation of business is deemed to be a termination by the provider, effective with the date on which it stopped providing services to the community.”

FindLaw Network

Our experienced Texas-based health care lawyers are here to help you and your business succeed. Please call 512-481-2916 or contact our law firm online.

Schedule A Consultation With An Attorney