Free Consultation
An Austin Firm Dedicated to Health Care Law

Can I Relocate a Certified Home Health Care Agency From One City to Another?

Answer: Depends 

The issue of a provider moving from one city to another and taking its provider number with them comes up often. According to CMS and the Texas Association for Home Care, you can move a provider number from one city to another as long as you do not cease providing services in the community that the number was originally established. Thus, moving within a Metropolitan Statistical Area is okay. Moving from one county to an adjacent county is also okay. The important thing to remember is that you have to continue to provide services in the original community designated. The farther you move the agency, the more likely it is that the Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services will consider that the agency has ceased providing services to the community and terminate the provider number. As per CMS Code 42 CFR 489.52(b)(3), "a cessation of business is deemed to be a termination by the provider, effective with the date on which it stopped providing services to the community." 

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information

Privacy Policy | Business Development Solutions by FindLaw, part of Thomson Reuters.

back to top